The Church-in-the-Gardens commissioned a “Green Team” two years ago, to help steer its efforts toward being a Greener citizen. Being Green is not just a politically correct fad for us; we have discovered that the protection of creation is an essential part of God’s call to Christians to be stewards of the world, until God’s Kingdom comes.
Sermons are often preached connecting the stewardship of creation to a lectionary text from the Bible about once every three months, challenging the congregation both to do more on an individual basis, and to see the world they live in differently.
Projects undertaken by our Green Team have included:
- commissioned a comprehensive energy study of the Sanctuary and Parish House that indicated things that needed to be done to insulate and minimize air infiltration
- insulate the attic in the Parish House, saving energy
- establishing the “Earth Matters” environmental movie series, which
air one Thursday evening per month to anyone interested…
discussion and sometimes debate follow the movie.
- installing a bicycle rack to encourage bicycle commuting
- participation in the Queens Green Alliance Earth Fair
- presentation to the congregation and interested neighbors on
green cleaning, composting, “hydrofracking” regulations in NY State…
- installing, new energy efficient florescent
lights and motion detector switches in the church’s Parish House…
The Green Team meets only a couple of times per year. Each participant takes on a task to work on semi-independently. New members are also welcomed!